Penne and Peppers with Turkey Sausage

I made this Weight Watchers recipe last night, along with a big salad full of veggies from my Mama's garden.  It was a hit with 3 out of 4 of us...the fourth being my son who has a strange dislike for bell peppers although I use them in just about everything and he eats them if he doesn't know what they are....

This is an easy and FAST recipe, taking about 15 minutes (unless you have to cut your own bell peppers) total, it's perfect for nights you don't want to spend the time or don't have the time to spend in the kitchen.  It's also one you could add other veggies too and it would rock even more!

Tips: Go EASY on the seasonings.  I couldn't find reduced fat turkey sausage, which is less salty than the full fat (or so I'm guessing).  I also couldn't find the leafy herb blend and used Cavenders Greek Seasoning instead, which also has lots of salt.  There's a reason it says omit salt and any fat while cooking the pasta, LOL.  My recommendation is, season it only a little, maybe half of what the recipe calls for, while cooking and then taste it to see how you like it.  I put half of the Greek seasoning and it was still pretty salty, but edible.  Next time, if I can't find the right Greek seasoning, I'm skipping the salt entirely.

6 ounces multi grain penne pasta
8 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
Cooking spray
2 cups refrigerated presliced green, yellow and red bell pepper mix
2 teaspoons Greek seasoning (such as McCormick, look for the leafy herb blend in a bottle, not powdered)
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup preshredded fresh Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat;drain

While pasta cooks, cook sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until browned; drain.  Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add bell pepper mix and next 3 ingredients.  Saute 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Add 2 tablespoons water, stirring to loosen browned bits.

Stir in pasta and sausage; add cheese, and toss gently.  Serve immediately.

WW points: 6
Calories: 315
Fat: 10.4g
Protein: 19.4g
Carb: 34.3g
Fiber 4.5g
Chol: 39mg
Iron: 2.4mg
Sodium: 956mg
Clac: 124mg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Time for some chunky dunking! Get us wet!