What's for dinner - Part 2

My son asked for onion rings with his Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken and since the same Weight Watchers cookbook had a Baked Onion Ring recipe, I agreed.  Why not try it out? 

They sadly didn't turn out right.  I had to rush through these babies, since the hubs had to go get two main ingredients for me, and I'm betting that's why they didn't brown. Ok so they browned, but in spots, like Dalmatian onion rings if you will.  They tasted great though, which is why I'm sharing.

This is why there are no pics, by the way.  I was so mad these things didn't brown, that I'd started this at 5:30 and we didn't eat until 7 because of the grocery run, pictures were the LAST thing on my mind at that time.

1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
Cooking spray
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
3 large egg whites
2 tbsp water
1 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 475

Place a large baking sheet in oven while it preheats.  Coat onion rings with cooking spray.  Combine flour and ground red pepper in large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag.  Add onion; shake to coat.

Combine egg whites and the water in a shallow bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Place panko in a food processor; process into fine crumbs.  Place crumbs in another shallow dish.

Dip onion rings in egg white mixture; dredge in crumbs.  Remove hot baking sheet from oven; coat pan with cooking spray.  Arrange onion rings in a single layer on pan.  Coat onion rings with cooking spray.

Bake for 16 minutes or until browned and crisp.  Sprinkle hot onion rings evenly with salt; serve immediately.  Serves 4.

Nutrition:
Calories: 176
Fat: 1.1
Protein: 8.1
Carb: 32.6g
Fiber: 2.8g
Sodium: 265mg
Calc: 25 mg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Time for some chunky dunking! Get us wet!