Recipe: Mongolian Beef

Whenever we get the chance to eat Chinese food, we JUMP on it.  We almost always get Mongolian Chicken and end up having two meals a piece between the hubs and I on one order.  We'd eat this daily if we could, but the munchkins aren't fans (plus it's not good for you, damnit LOL) which means we get it once a month if we are lucky.  When I saw this recipe, I kid you not, I squealed. 

I can have my Mongolian Chicken/Beef at home!! How fantabulous is that?

Except it didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would.  It's not terrible, it's just NOT Mongolian Beef, in anyway shape or form.  It's edible, but I seriously doubt I'll ever make it again.  It could be that since my grocery store sucks and I couldn't find the dark sesame oil and the roasted minced garlic that affected the recipe.   Who knows, but we got through dinner without a fight from the kids so that's a fist pump right there.

I served it with brown rice and a frozen veggie stir fry mix.

Mongolian Beef

1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and cut into thin slices
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon bottled minced roasted garlic
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 green onions

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat steak with cooking spray.  Cook steak in pan over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until browned and liquid has almost evaporated, stirring occasionally.

While steak cooks, combine hoisin sauce and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl.  Cut onions crosswise into 1-inch pieces.  Add sauce mixture and onions to meat in pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes until sauce is slightly reduced (do not overcook meat!).  Serve immediately.  Serves 4 (about 1/2 cup per serving).

WW points: 6
Cal: 240
Fat: 10g
Protein: 25.5g
Carb: 11.1g
Fiber: 1.1g
Chol: 38mg
Iron: 2.2 mg
Sodium: 410mg
Calc: 45mg
dd

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Time for some chunky dunking! Get us wet!