My son has anxiety issues just like his Mama, anything new and he just breaks down. Every meal he suddenly has a new food/ingredient he doesn't like, and most of the time no matter what I make he throws a fit and makes dinner time difficult. I've tried letting him choose one recipe a week and getting him involved in cooking (he says he wants to be a chef when he grows up, lol) but when the table gets set and the food is plated, the tears and the fit begins.
The hubs and I have talked about the things we can do to help him (he does this with everything from brushing his teeth to going to school) and one of the things Bo pointed out to me was that I rarely make the same thing twice. My reason, my mom made only like 12 recipes growing up, over and over, and still does btw. I would get so tired of the same recipes over and over that when I got on my own, I began collecting recipes so that I could have variety in food.
What's funny about this now is I think my mom is the best cook ever and I appreciate those recipes because they mean home to me.
Variety in food is a great thing, but it also means that no one knows what to ask for again because I'm always making something new. And with a child that is showing signs of having my anxiety problems, that's not comforting for him. So, I'm going to make the recipes I know he likes (which is about 7 things at the moment) with only one maybe 2 new recipes a week. And I'm still going to let him help me choose one recipe, to get him involved. Because it has helped a little.
Half of these recipes are healthy, the others not so much. I promise I'm trying to work on getting the recipes posted as I make them with photos too! I'm great at multitasking but not when it comes to cooking, haha I tend to forget main ingredients or I burn it.

0 comments:
Post a Comment
Time for some chunky dunking! Get us wet!